US Embassy in Bangkok | Siam Legal International


US Embassy

in Bangkok, Thailand

About the Embassy

The United States Embassy in Thailand, located at 120/22 Wireless Road in Bangkok, is one of the largest embassies in the world. Among other functions, the Embassy provides consular services to United States citizens, processes the visa applications of Thai citizens applying for US visas, and facilitates diplomatic relations between the governments of the United States and Thailand. Kristie A. Kenney is the current Ambassador.

The Consular Section of the US Embassy in Bangkok is divided into American Citizen Services and the Visa Section. The American Citizen Services unit is tasked to assist American expatriates and visitors to Thailand and neighboring countries by providing assistance in passport application including the issuance of emergency passports and other related travel documents, reports of birth and death in Thailand, legalizations, facilitating applications for federal benefits and providing emergency assistance to distressed Americans.

The Visa Section at the US Embassy Thailand, on the other hand, services foreigners who would like to enter the the US In particular, the embassy in Bangkok processes all types of visa applications i.e. non-immigrant and immigrant visas. Non-immigrant visas include tourist visas and business visas while immigrant visas can be in the form of K1 FianceVisa, K3 MarriageVisa, CR-1, IR-1, and Work Visa among others. Meanwhile, the US Consulate in Chiang Mai can only process nonimmigrant visas in the north-western 16 provinces and assists Americans living in or visiting the province.

The Consular Section of the US Embassy in Thailand is located opposite the main Embassy building at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok, Thailand 10330. It operates Monday-Friday from 7 AM to 4 PM. It is closed on official holidays of both the US and Thailand. The embassy can be reached via Tel: +66-2-205-4000. For further information about the US Embassy in Bangkok visit

The US Embassy in Thailand also maintains a Consulate in Chiang Mai located at 387 Witchayanond Road. Futher information about the Consulate can be found at

US Passports and Citizenship

If your US Passport is lost or stolen while you are in Thailand, the US Embassy can help you get an emergency passport so you can travel home. It takes at least 24 hours for the embassy to issue an emergency passport, which is only valid for a few months.

The US Embassy is also able to renew existing US passports and issue new US passports. Passport applicants are required to appear in person at the US Embassy and bring 2 passport size photos, proof of US citizenship, and proof of identity.

If your passport is running out of visa pages, the US Embassy can add additional pages. You have the option of appearing at the US Embassy personally or designating someone else to appear on your behalf. It takes the embassy about an hour to add the additional visa pages. There is an $82 USD fee for this service.

If you are an American citizen, but your child was born overseas, your child may be a US citizen by birthright. In order for your child to prove their US citizenship and receive a US passport, you need to register their birth at the appropriate US Consulate before they turn 18. You can start your child's registration process by scheduling an appointment. Your child must appear in person at the US Embassy with with both parents. Once your child is registered, they will receive a Certificate of Citizenship and can apply for a US passport.

Freedom to Marry Certificate

Thai law requires that any foreigners who wish to get married within Thailand first obtain a certificate from their embassy stating they are single and eligible for marriage. To get this certificate, you must appear in person at the US Embassy in Bangkok and sign an affidavit form in front of a qualified consular officer. The consular officer will notarize the form while you wait at the embassy. If you are marrying another US citizen, they will also need to get a certificate.

Emergency Services

If you are a US citizen you should enroll with the US Embassy while in Thailand. This allows the Embassy to contact you in case of emergency and to provide up to date travel information. Information. If you are arrested in Thailand, you have the right to meet with a consular official who will provide you with information on the justice system and local attorneys. The consular official will check on your treatment, follow the progress of your case, and help you communicate with relatives in the United States.

When a US citizen dies in Thailand, the Thai government notifies US Embassy in Bangkok. The embassy will notify the family of the deceased and help to coordinate the repatriation of the remains.

Social Security

Although the US Embassy does not directly process applications for Social Security benefits, they can assist applicants by certifying documents and providing forms. Completed applications should be sent to the regional Social Security office at the US Embassy in Manila.

Absentee Voting

If you will be in Thailand during a US election, the Military and Overseas Voters Empowerment (MOVE) Act provides a streamlined process to request and receive an absentee ballot. You can start the online process here: There is also a voting assistance officer at the US Embassy in Bangkok who you can reach at or 02-205-2029.

Visa Services for Thai Citizens

The United States Embassy in Bangkok processes the visa applications of Thai citizens. The final step of the US visa application process is an interview at the US Embassy in Bangkok. Some visa interviews may be conducted at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai if it is more convenient for the applicant.

The US Embassy does not have a walk up window where visitors can receive visa information. An automated telephone service provides information on non-immigrant visas in Thai at 02-205 5007 and English at 02-205-5003. Automated information on the immigrant visa process is available in English only at 02-2-5-5004. Thai citizens who need visa information should call or visit the Embassy website.

Visitors to the embassy's Consular Services Section will only be admitted if they have an appointment.

US Visa Application for Thailand
K1 Visa Interview CR1 Visa
US K1 Visa Thailand K3 Spouse Visa
US Tourist Visa Advance Parole
K2 Visa K4 Visa
US Embassy
Local Office Numbers:
Bangkok: 02-254-8900
Phuket: 084-021-9800
Chiang Mai: 053-818-306
Pattaya: 084-021-9800
International Numbers:
US: 1 (702) 966-2764
Thailand: +66 2 254-8900